Originally garnered from The Pioneer Woman. I served this for dinner, as it took quite a bit of time to prepare and cook. The topping should be crumbled, not a glaze. I threw in a little milk, mixed it up and baked it this way. It was delightful. I prescribe caution, though – there are a lot of carbs in this recipe and, as a diabetic, it’s not the best thing to eat for dinner.
Ingredients for French Toast:
- 1 loaf crusty sourdough or french bread
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cups Splenda Sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
Ingredients for Topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Splenda brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
As an option, you could always add fruit during or after cooking. Mix it up.
- Grease 9×13 pan. Tear bread into chunks and line bottom of pan.
- Mix the rest of the french toast ingredients together. Pour over the bread. Store 24 hours or proceed to topping and bake.
- Mix the topping ingredients. Store 24 hours or proceed to pour onto french toast mix and bake.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place french bread mixture in oven 45 minutes for softer french toast, an hour or longer for crispier.
- Serve with fresh fruit, butter and syrup or all the above.