Hi! I wanted to show you my finished version of the crib quilt I was asked to create the other day. As we all know, before I finished it, I changed my mind and recreated something different.
When I sew a quilt as this, with rows and columns, I always do columns first. I take the two pieces on the left and take them in a stack all the way down.
I’m not sewing the columns together, so much as sewing the blocks together to create a column of two blocks instead of just the one. I do this through the entire top.
Because this top is 11 original blocks across and 11 original blocks down, the last column will be sewed as three across. Again, I am not sewing them together, rather creating 3 blocks sewn across but not down. When done, you’ll have 11 rows of: (4) two blocks sewn together and (1) three blocks sewn together. Now, doing the same column work with chain piecing, Take the next sets.
Continue until you have 11 rows sewn but not together. Now you sew the rows and life is great. Because it’s chain piecing, it goes fast and simple. I find things like up quite nicely when I am doing it this way. Now, when I was trying to explain it, I confused myself, so if you’re confused, it’s ok. I’ll try to explain it again another day.
My birthday gift kitty, Sassy-Anna, and I played a game the whole time I was working on that top. She would sit on the ironing board and watch me. If I needed more space, I’d move her to my sewing chair until I needed the sewing chair. At that point, I’d put her back on the ironing board. She really is pretty smart and cautious. She stayed a good distance from the iron and only a couple times laid down on the pieces I was trying to use.
I think animals instinctually stay away from danger. I have no fear of her playing on my ironing board as I’ve seen her sniff and back away from the iron on many occasions. She lovingly posed for mommy to take her picture, too!
I just realized, I didn’t get a picture of the finished quilt top before moving to the next step. Sorry about that! I did decide to turn it on point and when you glance at this picture, you can see my objective worked – it actually looks like a ribbon through the blocks and/or it is floating on the background. It’s still too pink. I attempted to correct that by…
Adding a blue border after the pink. If you look at the two pictures, the blue border ended up muting all the pink in this top. I love it and it’s ready to send to the long armer. I didn’t write down the dimensions and/or fabric requirements to add what I wanted to this top. It’s roughly 74″ x 74″ finished, though. I got it really close to square. I was pleased.
And to think, a few years ago, I never would have touched pink!