Picture Catch Up, Pt 5.. or is it 6?


When we left off, we were at Christmas Eve. The next morning, the boys were typically excited and wanted to dive right in to the presents. Caiden is ripping the paper off his first of several.


A new RC car! Yes, we’re RC car people. We don’t always get to them (mostly because of batteries missing) but we do love them when we have them. Brendan had asked for another for Christmas and so both boys got a new one.


The boys were checking out mom’s present – a package of Hillshire Farms meats and cheeses. One of my yummier enjoyments.


Brendan showing me that his new t-shirt is long enough to cover his “pee-pee.” The rule is, if a shirt covers your pee-pee, you can wear it as a night shirt.


Remember Minecraft? We don’t play as much anymore but we still love it and actually had a few Minecraft presents appear under the tree.


“WOW, MOM! We got LEGOS!”

(already a bane to my life but the boys love them terribly)


Brendan’s new RC car.


Teamwork to get the present out of the bag.


A carrying case for their Skylanders. The reason this present was purchased is because the boys were going to Uncle Travis’ house for the *real* Christmas. By getting this gift, they could take their new Skylanders game with them and play with Uncle Travis.


And with that, Christmas morning was over. Christmas Eve to the rest of the world, of course. From here, the boys had to get ready and go with Jen to Idaho Falls. Mark was leaving for work and I was going to stay home alone on Christmas Eve (nowhere for me to go in Idaho Falls with Jen at her folks and the boys at their Uncle Travis’ house).

Mark’s dad has a Christmas Eve family get-together every year and I didn’t want the boys to miss it. I sent them down with Jen so she could go to her parent’s house and drop the boys at their uncle’s house. Since I had nowhere to be, I originally elected to stay home alone for the 24 hours.

It later turned out that Mark didn’t have to head back to work on Christmas Eve – surprise for us. So, he and I went to Idaho Falls together. After he spent some time with the boys at their Grandpa Greg’s, he came back to hang out with lonely me for a bit.


Back-tracking in time a bit, on the Tuesday before our official move to Montana, Jen got hit by an idiot running a stop sign. The damage to the car was minimal and Jen was fine. She had a minor bruise from the air bag that deployed.


This is the car that hit her. Small accident, big consequences.


It was God’s hand that my children were not in the car when this happened. Both air bags on the driver’s side of the car deployed. If Caiden had been in his typical seat at this time, he would have been hit with the air bag and tossed around in the car. I’m not sure what would have happened to him and I am glad I don’t have to find out.

Unfortunately, because both air bags deployed, the lady’s insurance company did not wish to repair the car. The cost of the air bags was too steep. A small dent from a “not paying attention” accident turned into us losing our car. This Toyota was supposed to be the fall-back when the Rendezvous got to the point of no more repairs to keep it alive.

Everyone is fine and life moves on. The payout from the insurance company was the only reason I could afford to head down to Oklahoma when my dad was sick and made Christmas more than originally intended. One could say that it was God’s hand again in preparing us for things we would need money for in the near future after this accident.


A last look at the home that sheltered my family and I when things exploded back in 2012. This was the day we checked out of this house and moved to Montana – officially.


A last look through the windows at the kitchen and “front room” with fireplace that created so many memories. They flit through my head as I look at the picture and reflect on all that occurred from May 1st, 2012 to November 2nd, 2013. The trials survived, the fun we had, the trips we prepared for in that kitchen, the cooking never before attempted and quite frankly, the times spent just being a family and weathering life.

Things have been so different since moving to Montana. I know it was the right thing to do – financially. I’m still trying to decide if it was the right thing to do – overall. There has been so many ups and downs in the few months we’ve been there. It’s hard to decide. I have to believe, as a mother, that I can make it turn out for the best.

Caiden’s struggle in school, Jen’s difficulty in finding/keeping work, my health deteriorating so rapidly. This and more has caused me to second-guess myself more than I should. Would it have been better to continue in the house in Idaho Falls? Would all this have happened if we had stayed?

This and more is what also goes through my head as I reflect on the last few months and catch up on all these pictures that have been piling up in my photo folder.

I’m the mom. I am the one to make things work. I’m the one to push the family forward in hopes of a better tomorrow. I’m the one that should be on my knees, praying daily for the safety and comfort of my family. It’s up to me and me alone.

And sometimes, that’s just plain hard to do.



Categories: Holidays | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: